Creativity: at the heart of who I am.

Creativity is essential to my identity as a human being.  "Creative" is the first word I use to describe myself, no matter what life role I'm standing in.  That's the thing, right?  Not one of us are defined by just one role.  We're complex "relationshipees" (that's a word my students and I came up when we couldn't find a word to best describe this human phenomenon).

I'm a mother, daughter, partner, sister, niece, granddaughter, aunt, friend, neighbor, mentor, leader, coach, facilitator, teacher, business owner, manager, designer, writer, artist, student, researcher, cook, gardener, farmer, singer, musician, historian, graphic artist...the list goes on.  These are roles I play on any given day.  Remember the wisdom of Shakespeare in As You Like It?

"All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts..."

At the heart of the many roles we play are core traits, strengths, and values that define who we are. If we are living in alignment, these core defining traits support the many roles we play, which brings me back to creativity, an enduring, innate part of who I am.  You might only know me as the designer who brought or is bringing your vision to life for your wedding day.  Here are some other ways that I exercise creativity:

Sweet Chickadee Solid Perfume.


Biscuits made with love using Grammy Willey's recipe.

Children's book.

"I am Rising" vision project, created 2005.

"Flock" photograph by SJ Willey, 2016.

Promotional poster, 2015.

Easter Bunny hats to match jammies. Made with love for my nieces, 2016.

CD cover mock up for "Rustic Duets" a project with my brother, Jared.


My nieces, 2016.  Photo by SJ Willey.

Getting creative for Halloween 2017.  "Oh Dear"

SweetiePea Doll transformation.

Logo design, re-brand for Simply Organic, 2018.  

Dan Marcotte AirShows marketing, 2017.

October 14, 2017
Poem written on the 26th anniversary of my Uncle Lenny's passing

Today there is
A change in color
On the languid
Fingers of 
Maple trees--
Whose leaves
Have gone golden
Overnight.
A change in color--
That's what
Opal means.
The history of a word
Of a life--
A symbol for
October birth
And celebrating
Twenty-six years.
So it must be
Important to
Think about
Hydrated amorphous
Silica--
And a life
The same today.
In the way they both
Diffract light
And are a thing 
Of beauty.
Silica mineraloids--
Tannen soaked
Autumn leaves--
Your shirts folded
Neatly on my dresser.
Twenty-six years
In a day--
Diffracted into
Infinite
Possibility.



Oh yeah, floral design, but you already know that!
Photo by: The Light + Color


Creativity, I can't escape it. What about you?  What are your enduring traits and qualities?  


Be Inspired!
-SJ 

Comments

Popular Posts